Sunday, September 22, 2013

Lucky - OUAS September Challenge

This is usually a very slow time of month for me for blogging while I frantically prepare projects for the beginning of the month, but this month has been a bit of an anomaly.  Thanks to Canada Post being painfully slow this month, I found myself with a little extra playtime and made full use of it.  It was a great excuse to pull out the new 7 Dots 9th Wave papers sitting in a box by my desk - I've been salivating over these papers ever since 7 Dots posted the first sneaks.

One of the challenges I couldn't resist playing along with was Once Upon a Sketch.  Nadia always prepares such beautiful sketches, and I love the added challenge of having to stick to a theme.  This month's theme is "Lucky", which was an easy one for me - I have been so blessed in my life that the inspiration bubbled over and it was hard to narrow it down to just one photo.  But I did, picking this photo of Evan and I on our trip to New York City for our 10 year wedding anniversary this summer; I can't believe he's been in my life since I was 13 and a permanent fixture since I was 16.  Like I said, I have truly been lucky.


Lots going on here - lots of colour, lots of pattern, lots of background work, but I'm really happy with the way it turned out. I started by layering strips of washi and tissue tape horizontally across the layout, then covered that in gesso and started building up my paper layers, including a white cardboard coffee cup sleeve (can you see it tucked under the Lucky title below?) that I coloured with chalk edgers and mist to bring out the checkered surface.


Layers of gorgeous 7 Dots papers.


To build the background I used gesso through the Prima Woodgrain stencil, then added Shimmerz Dazzlerz through the Prima Checker stencil.  I used Prima Chalk Edgers to build up the colour, as well as Distress Ink and Stain on Canvas Tape.


The chipboard pieces are remnants from a Scrap FX chippy I dissected for a previous project.


Supplies:

7 Dots 9th Wave: Coral Reef 12x12, 6x6 paper pack
Gesso
Prima Stencils: Woodgrain and Checker
Shimmerz Dazzlerz: Lemon Drop and Sour Apple
Tim Holtz Tissue Tape: Symphony and Nostalgic
Washi Tape
Colorbox Cat's Eye Dye Ink: Lemon Drop
Pitt Artist Pen - Black XS
Prima Brick Stamp
Prima Chalk Edgers: Black Coal, Blossom Tree, Summer Field, Turquoise Stone
Lindy's Stamp Gang Starburst Spray: French Lilac Violet
EK Punch
Martha Stewart Punch
Prima Divine Vine & Divine Flowers
Prima Divine alphas
Prima Zipper
Scrap FX chippy
Polaroid Frame

I hope you had a wonderful weekend!


11 comments:

Shona said...

sooooooo artsy and just gorgeous :)

Val-Belle said...

Jackie this is such a beautiful artsy layout. So many layers and textures not to mention colour. Love the photo too. Congratulations on making 10 years.
Thanks for Playing Along with us and at OUAS Please do not forget to upload your layout to Our FB Page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Once-Upon-A-Sketch/150044095058422?ref=hl
for your Chance to be in the draw for our monthly prize :)

Lizzyc said...

This is so pretty, I love all the colors you have on your layout!

Erica said...

Jax, this is stunning!! WOW!! Just beautiful! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the colors!

Melenia Agapides said...

Wow mixed media!!!!!!!!!!! Love your background and the dimension your page has! Thanks for joining us at OUAS!

gracescraps@gmail.com said...

Wow Jackie, this is simply exquisite!! Love your mixed media work!! Congratulations on celebrating your 10th anniversary together!! Love how your journaling fits right into your page design!! Thanks for joining us for the September Once Upon A…Sketch Challenge and for posting your LO on our Facebook page! ~ Blessings, Tracey

Garden of Grace

Renata Moni said...

Amazing background!Great colors and pretty pics. Thanks for playing with us at OUAS.

Unknown said...

Jackie! One after another..your layouts just continue to get more and more beautiful - you are on fire! I just love this colorful layout of yours...I can tell you put lots of love and time into it. Fantastic! SO glad you played along with us at OUAS!

Eila Sandberg said...

Holy macarony Jackie!! this is one stunner of a page!! absolutely marvellous mixed media work and the colours, ooooh the colours!! love love love!! Thank you ever so much for sharing this very special moment in your life and very special page too with us at OUAS!

Kay F said...

This is beautiful work Jackie...tons of textures & colors...so much to look at & admire! Lucky indeed to have such a wonderful relationship for so many years. May luck continue to be on your side for years to come! Thank you for joining us at OUAS!

Evgenia Petzer said...

absoloutely wonderful! love your work on a background) Thank you for playing with us over OUAS!