Tuesday, June 3, 2014

What Can You Do Wednesday - Primary Elements for Flying Unicorn

I'm up today over at Flying Unicorn with a What Can You Do Wednesday (WCYDW) tutorial on using Primary Elements. If you haven't yet discovered Primary Elements, prepare to be wowed by all these little pots of magic have to offer. If you have Primary Elements sitting unused in your stash, hopefully this tutorial will be just what you need to get to you to fall in love (or fall in love all over again) with these little powerhouses. And if you're a regular Primary Elements user, we'd love to hear your favourite uses for these shimmery pigments.

I use one of my art journals for messing about in when I'm trying out products, so you'll notice that my examples in the video are a lot messier than my finished project (which is at the end of the video as well as farther down in this post). I even decided to change things up mid-stride with disastrous results (you'll know it when you see it), but I find this type of playing around is helpful for me to learn what I can (and shouldn't) do with different products.

Without further ado, let's get on to the video.


So there's a quick introduction to Primary Elements. In addition to the uses highlighted in the video, you can also make your own mists (using Gum Arabic just as you would for paint), colour other media, including paper clay (because it is white and opaque the colour turns out much as it does when you mix the Primary Elements with white gesso) and custom-blend colours.

Here is an inspiration layout I made using the June kit of the month.


I didn't mention that one of the great things about Primary Elements is how they look on top of dark backgrounds, now did I? Well, as you can see from the layout above, they offer stunning coverage, even on black paper. So much to love about these little beauties.

A little rundown of the techniques I used on this layout:


Stamping with embossing ink and dusting on Primary Elements with a dry brush (colours used: African Jade and Mystique).


Painting onto my paper layers (mixed with Gum Arabic; colour used: Autumn Butternut).


Mixing with Gloss Gel Medium and scraping through a stencil (colour used: China Black).


Painting onto textured alphas (colour used: Autumn Butternut).


Splattering (and painting flowers - most noticeable on the second from the right; colour used: Autumn Butternut).

Thank you so much for watching! There are a couple sets of Primary Elements currently available in the store, with a big restock arriving shortly. I would love to see what you create with these little gems - I've fallen in love all over again.


Supplies

From the Kit:

- Tailgate Marked papers: Farfalla, My Street, Airborne
- Petaloo Dahlias Small Naturals
- Petaloo Wild Mini Blossoms Aqua

From my stash:

- Prima stamps: Doily Large #1 & Small Doilies
- Ranger Embossing Dabber
- Primary Elements: African Jade, Mystique, China Black, Autumn Butternut
- Krylon Workable Fixative
- Gloss Gel Medium
- Prima mask: 6x6 Checker
- Prima Lifetime Canvas alphas
- Black mesh

No comments: